A supervised practicum with The Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators (AOGPE) provides a trainee with guidance and support as he/she develops skill working with students using the Orton-Gillingham Approach.
A supervised practicum is required for application to the Academy for Certification at any level.
- A practicum student must be primarily dyslexic. Although we know this approach works well with many different types of students, for the purposes of the practicum experience, the practicum student must be primarily dyslexic.
- A Practicum Release form must be signed in advance by the parent of each of the practicum students. This form gives permission for the practicum supervisor to review the student’s lessons, records, and profile, and to observe the lessons – either in person or via video.
- Lessons MUST be a minimum of twice per week for 40-60 minute
- There is an option for distance supervision subject to availability. Observations may be done using webcam (SKYPE or other appropriate medium), or recorded and submitted within 48 hours.
- Timely written feedback and a follow up meeting (in person, by video or phone call) to reveiew comments, answer questions, and discuss next steps is provided for every observation.
ASSOCIATE level PRACTICUM
There is a minimum requirement of 100 hours with ten direct observations spread out over the course of at least eight months. The observations can be spread out further but cannot be shorter than eight months. The minimum number of observations is ten – although in some cases, more than ten may be necessary.
CERTIFIED level PRACTICUM
There is a minimum requirement of an additional 200 hours (for a total of 300 hours), with ten direct observations spread out over a two year period. The observations can be spread out further but cannot be shorter than two years. The minimum number of observations is ten – although in some cases, more than ten may be necessary.
Please contact us for further information on cost and availability.
Before beginning a practicum course of study, you must have completed the coursework for that level. Check out our training opportunities.